Job Title: Town Planner
Location: Dublin (flexibility for the right candidate)
Job Type: Permanent Full-Time
Reports to: Head of Strategic Planning
Salary: Circa 65k
ABOUT THE LAND DEVELOPMENT AGENCY
The Land Development Agency (LDA), established in September 2018, is a key Government land management initiative to develop public land for housing delivery.
The LDA will be overseen by an independent board of directors and the Government has committed to providing the LDA with an initial portfolio of seven sites and initial equity of up to €1.25 billion when our primary legislation is passed in 2021.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and energetic person to work in a planning and development role of a newly created Government Agency. This role will involve working with colleagues, multidisciplinary teams and key stakeholders to advise and support in relation to all planning and development management matters related to progressing key projects from the earliest stages through to permission and readiness for delivery.
The role will favour an experienced self-starter who is solutions focussed, a team player and process orientated thinker who contributes well across the business units with a focus on achieving successful planning outcomes.
Key Objectives / Accountabilities
The successful candidate will play a key role in supporting, advising and informing the planning strategy for key projects and schemes and support the ongoing development of the planning development management function of the LDA. It is a role that offers responsibility and opportunities for the right candidate to advance their career and support with delivering on the business strategy of the agency.
A key objective will be to co-ordinate, input, advise and monitor all planning and development and planning policy issues concerning the Authority. The successful applicant will be expected to engage with, advise and support LDA colleagues and design teams as well as key stakeholders including local authority and state agencies and other key partners as relevant.
The main responsibilities of the role will include:
- To work in the planning and development team to support and progress key sites and areas
- To provide support and advice on planning matters, including design and compliance with planning policy, process and planning applications, preapplication consultations and planning schemes.
- To support LDA approach in relation to public consultation and engagement for key sites for development.
- To work, advise and provide input on strategic planning matters, including submissions on county development plans, local areas plans, planning policies, planning schemes and other planning related reports as relevant.
- To work, support and advise on the planning and development of LDA strategic sites and LDA policy approach on sustainability, typology and prioritising areas for LDA development activity focus in line with legislative requirements.
- To support design teams on assigned projects, and commissioning studies or reports and to manage the budgets and payments (with finance team).
- To organise and support team meetings, issue minutes and follow up on actions, to progress projects in line with agreed sites strategy and timelines.
- To liaise with internal and external stakeholders including local authority partners as relevant to progress plans for key sites in line with agreed requirements.
- To deal with a variety of items that may arise relating to planning for and progressing development including residential, commercial and / or infrastructure planning.
- To monitor and report on project progress regularly and keep up to date records.
- To monitor and advise on planning matters, including legislation, policy and reports as relevant in relation to housing development and infrastructure related matters.
- To build and maintain co-operative working relationships and provide advice and support in an efficient, flexible and responsive manner
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Successful applicants can expect an interesting range of opportunities in a progressive environment which embraces diversity, sustainability and innovation. The LDA actively encourages personnel to broaden their experience and development by working across different areas of the Authority.
Knowledge & Experience
- Attention to detail in reviewing plans, designs and alignment with planning policies as well as advising on costs and adopting a solutions focussed approach
- Good planning, operational and project management skills and ideally
- Good communication/ presentation and interpersonal skills
- Good working knowledge and understanding of the Irish Planning system, the Planning legislation, principles, practices and techniques
- Excellent working knowledge of the Irish Planning system, with experience of plan/ schemes development and planning application process
- Commercial experience is desirable
- Ability to work well under pressure and to think laterally, with a solution-oriented mind set in dealing with a wide range of issues
- Ability to manage multiple projects and achieve delivery of competing demands within prescribed timelines and deadlines
- A recognised (IPI or RTPI) planning qualification
- Minimum of 7 years post-graduate experience
- Ability to demonstrate good analytical skills, strong report writing skills and strong IT skills
- Strong report writing and presentation skills
- Business Competencies
- Task and solution-orientated
- Problem solving skills
- People Competencies
- Self -motivated and focused Ambition to lead compliance function
- Ability to work independently and collaborate across different functional teams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with clarity of delivery
Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is Friday, 21st of May at 12pm
The Land Development Agency is an equal opportunities employer.